I have a Zivver account
User manuals and reference documentation
Zivver Chrome Extension for Gmail - User Manual
How to install and use the Zivver Chrome Extension for Gmail?
The Zivver extension is to securely send emails from Google Gmail in Chrome.
With Zivver you can easily and securely share privacy-sensitive information with colleagues, customers, patients and other recipients. If you send a message securely, only you and the recipient (s) can read this message.
You can use this manual as a reference. You don’t have to read it from start to finish to be able to email securely. Each chapter stands on its own. In each section we provide steps to get started with the Zivver Chrome Extension for Gmail.
Contact the service desk of your organization.
To email securely from your Gmail account, you need the Zivver Chrome extension for Gmail and a Zivver account.
Install from Google Chrome Web Store
- Navigate to the Zivver Chrome Extension for Gmail Chrome Web Store page
- Click Add to Chrome
A permissions windown pops up
- Click Add extension
The extension is installed. A window pops up explaining how to start the extension. An option to install the extension on other Chrome devices may also be offered, provided there are any connected to your account.
- Log in to Zivver to start the extension
There are two different ways you can log in, depending on your organization settings. Namely, you will either be redirected to the SSO service used by your organization and enter your workplace credentials or you will need to enter your Zivver password.
Install from a CRX file
You might have received an evaluation version of Zivver Chrome Extension for Gmail, delivered as a link to a
- Download the
.crxfile to a location on your computer.
- Open Gmail in Chrome and navigate to Window in the menu bar at the top of the screen.
- Then choose Extensions
You are now navigated to
- Switch on the developer mode switch in the right-hand corner
- Click Load unpacked
- Choose the Zivver Chrome extension file
Install from a ZIP archive
If you use a testing version of Zivver Chrome Extension for Gmail, you might receive a link to a
.zip file instead of a
.crx file. In that case:
- Download the
- Unzip the
- In Chrome, navigate to
- Switch the developer mode switch in the right-hand corner to the ON pass:[toggle_on] position
- Click Load unpacked
a file browser window opens
- Select the directory into which you unpacked the
.zipfile. Then, click Open. The extension is now shown in the
Zivver. You have successfully installed the extension.
Log in with workplace information
Depending on the settings chosen by the Zivver administrator in your organization, you might be automatically redirected to a login page of your organization. Enter your workplace login details on this page to log in.
Log in with email address and Zivver password
Is your e-mail address not yet activated for Zivver? Then click the Activate your e-mail address link and enter your Zivver password to log in.
To stay logged in, place a check next to Remember my information for 30 days. You will now be logged in to this device for 30 days.
Did you already set up an additional login method? Complete it on the next screen.
You are now logged in to Zivver in Gmail and ready to read and send secure messages. If you do not see a Zivver bar when you create a new message, you can refresh the page first. Contact the Zivver administrator in the organization if you have log in problems.
Send a message securely
You must be logged in to Zivver via Gmail:
- Click Compose in Gmail.
A message editor window pops up
- Compose a message as usual - add recipients, enter a subject and message.
- Toggle the Secure send switch to enable secure mailing.
- Optional: Click Add attachments in the lower compose bar to add an attachment (up to 5 TB).
- Toggle Secure send to ON.
If you are sending a Zivver message to a recipient for the first time, you will be asked to set a verification method.
Your organization has drawn up various rules to ensure that sensitive information is always sent with Zivver. Zivver uses security notifications to inform you when a certain rule has been activated.
You can view a read receipt for each message sent. That way you know who has read your message and who has not. You will find this read confirmation in the form of a small envelope icon in the lower left corner of a sent Zivver message. Click on the envelope icon to see if the message was opened.
Zivver messages can be revoked at any time after being sent, either for every participant (including the sender) or just for recipients. Message revocation can be scheduled to occur after a set period, or immediately. Revocation is designed to fulfill two major functions: - You can withdraw a message that was sent in error. - You can comply to rule where laws or organizational policy require that copies of messages are not kept indefinitely.
You can revoke sent messages, or set messages to expire, before or after sending.
Set revocation for new messages
- Click the revocation pass:[ history ] icon in the bottom of your message editor pane
A new window titled Revoke access to message appears
- Click Revoke for recipients if you want that the recipients have no access to the message.
Click Revoke for everyone if you want that the recipients and you have no access to the message.
- Click Revoke in if you want the message to be revoked later
Click Revoke Now if you want the message to be revoked immediately.
- Set a time period using the input box and the drop-down selector. Your organization may or may not have set a default period.
The scheduled message revocation date displayed changes, in accordance with the time period you choose.
If you have chosen to revoke the message Revoke in, a light blue banner is displayed above the message header, stating the revocation period
If you have chosen to revoke the message Revoke now, a greyed-out banner is displayed above the message header, stating that access to the message was revoked.Revoking a message will remove it from the Zivver inboxes of all recipients, including those you have added in CC: and BCC:.
Change revocation settings for sent messages
- Navigate to your Sent messages Gmail folder
- Locate and click on the message you wish to revoke or change revocation settings for. Zivver messages contain the string
[This message is encrypted with Zivver]in the subject line
- Click Edit Settings in the top right corner of the message pane.
- Make changes as needed.
- Click Set.
Zivver attempts to verify recipients’ identity by means of checking that the recipient is in possession of a preshared secret - usually an access code, sent by means other than email. For details, refer to Verification Methods.
Click Personal Settings in the extension menu to change Zivver settings. Please refer to the Zivver WebApp user manual for information on the various settings.
Zivver Chrome Extension for Gmail monitors the Gmail message editor window and might produce warnings when you add possibly sensitive information to a message or trigger another Zivver business rule. Business rule violations can prevent that the mail client sends messages through Zivver. In such cases, the SEND button in the editor is unavailable until the issues are resolved.
To address this:
- Click the pass:[ warning ]Issues button in the top right corner of the message editor window.
A window titled Security issues pops up, listing issues with your message and possible actions.
- Click Ignore to tell Zivver to ignore a particular issue.
- Click OK to close the security issues notification window and return to the editor.
- Change or remove any elements of your message that are triggering warnings.
Click the help:[ help ] button in the message editor pane to leave feedback, see the documentation or fill a short survey on your Zivver experience.