I am a Zivver admin
Setting up and managing Zivver
Outlook Web Access Add-in - troubleshooting
With the Zivver add-in for Outlook Web Access (OWA), you can send secure messages from Outlook’s online environment. If you are experiencing an issue with the add-in after installation, for example that the plug-in isn’t visible or that messages can not be sent, then this guide will help you troubleshoot the issue, so that it can be resolved as quickly as possible without needing to contact Zivver.
For this guide, you will need the following:
- You are using a Zivver account with administrator rights. This means that you have access to the organization- or admin settings at app.zivver.com.
- Your account is a member of the Zivver organization for which your are troubleshooting SSO. This means that the account is listed in the Account Settings pane of the Zivver organization settings.
- You have administrator access to the Office 365 or Exchange environment.
- You are using at least v3 of the OWA add-in. You can check the version number by clicking the installed add-in in the Office 365 Admin Center.
- You are using Exchange Online.
- Your environment meets the other technical requirements for the OWA add-in, as described in the Zivver installation manual.
A quick way to fix different problems is to remove the existing installation of the OWA add-in, and then installing it again from scratch, as indicated in the Zivver installation manual.
It is required that you follow every step in this document. This process will take about 20 minutes.
Re-installing the OWA add-in
- Log in to the Office 365 admin center.
- Remove the existing installation of the add-in from the Services and Add-ins pane by following these instructions.
- Remove the existing mail flow rule from the Exchange admin > Mail flow screen.
- Install the OWA add-in again by following the Zivver installation manual.
- Important: Also perform all the steps under Additional required settings.
- Test if the problem is resolved.
Does the problem persist after following the steps above? If so, please follow the rest of the guide to troubleshoot the issue.
This section of the guide will help you troubleshoot any problems with the OWA add-in after installation.
several problems listed below. Click the link next to the problem that is most similar to the one you are experiencing to see related causes and fixes:
- The add-in is not visible after installation. This is recognized by the fact that the Zivver icon is missing from the bottom right of the message body when you start a new message - Please see this section of the guide for causes and fixes..
- The add-in does not load properly in the side pane. The side pane should appear on the right side of a message when you click the Zivver icon in the bottom right - Please see this section of the guide for causes and fixes..
- Messages can not be sent - Please see this section of the guide for causes and fixes..
- Messages are not sent securely, but as regular emails - Please see this section of the guide for causes and fixes..
- Messages are received as both secure and regular emails - Please see this section of the guide for causes and fixes..
The add-in is not visible after installation
Problem: After installation, the add-in is not visible in the mailbox of the user(s).
Causes and fixes for this problem are listed below:
The add-in is not deployed
Cause: The add-in is installed, but it is not deployed to the affected users or group.
Fix: Select the add-in under Services and Add-ins for Office 365 and make it available for the right users or groups.
The add-in is not enabled
Cause: The add-in is installed and deployed properly, but it’s not enabled within the OWA user environment. This is based on the deployment method that was selected during the installation.
Fix: Select the add-in under Services and Add-ins, and select either the ‘Fixed’ or ‘Optional’ deployment method. The add-in will now be enabled by default in the user environments.
Problem: After installation, the OWA add-in is not listed in the Services and Add-ins pane.
Cause: After installing the plug-in, it does not shows up under Add-ins and Services pane of Office 365. This is caused by a bug on Microsoft’s end in their user interface.
Fix: Waiting for a fix from Microsoft. In some cases, this can be temporarily fixed by starting the installation process again, entering the manifest URL, and then cancelling the process after receiving the error that the add-in is already installed.
The add-in does not load properly in the side pane
Problem: The add-in does not load properly in the side pane after clicking the Zivver icon
Causes and fixes for this problem are listed below:
Trusted Websites are not set up
Cause: The necessary URL’s have not yet been added to the Trusted Websites in Internet Options.
Fix: Add all 3 URL’s to the Trusted Websites in Internet Options in Explorer.
Third party cookies are blocked
Cause: Third party cookies are not allowed on the user’s system.
Fix: Make sure third party cookies are allowed on the affected system.
Messages can not be sent
Problem: Messages can not be sent because the following error appears: Action blocked because required add-in could not be loaded
Cause: The user tries to send an email from a shared mailbox, but can’t due to the error above. This happens because the add-in, or rather the OnSend-functionality on which the add-in depends, does not work for shared mailboxes.
This is also mentioned in the installation manual, but please see this article from Microsoft for more information regarding this limitation.
Fix: Only use the add-in for personal mailboxes in OWA.
Problem: Messages can not be sent via Zivver, because OWA hangs on Busy sending message.
Description: This problem, where OWA is stuck on sending the message, occurs if you create a new message, turn on Zivver, and then hit Send. The OnSend pop-up, the final check window that should appear when you hit Send, may not appear either.
Fix: This is fixed by enabling the setting Access data from across domains in Internet Options for trusted websites.
Go to Internet Options > Security > Trusted Sites > Custom Level… > Miscellaneous and enable the setting Access data from across domains.
It’s also possible to deploy this setting with a registry value via a Group Policy - see this page for more information.
Messages are received as both secure and regular emails
Problem: A message was sent via Zivver, but also as a regular email
Cause: The mail flow rule is not set up in the Exchange admin panel. When Zivver is enabled for a message, this rule deletes the corresponding email when they are offered to the Exchange server, so that they are not also sent unencrypted.
Fix: Set up the mail flow rule within the Exchange admin panel to fix this problem. See this part of the installation manual for further instructions.
Still need help?
Could not find the information that solves your problem? Please contact support with the following information:
- Who is experiencing the problem?
For example, all users or some specific users.
- What are the email addresses of the affected users?
- At what date and time did the problem occur exactly?
- What version of the OWA add-in are you using?
- Which browser are you using, and what version?
- Can you replicate the problem? If so, please describe the steps that lead to the issue.
- Please tell Zivver support representatives which steps you have tried from this guide, as well as the outcome of each step.
Please attach this information to a support request.